Welcome back to another edition of Top Ten Tuesday hosted by the lovely The Broke and the Bookish! If you haven’t visited her blog, make sure to go check it out! TTT is a weekly bookish meemee in which bloggers are given a topic and create their on top ten lists based on that topic! This weeks topic is Top Ten Reasons I Love X.
There’s always been a controversy between just what medium is best when reading a book. Some prefer hardbacks, some paperbacks. Others don’t care which as long as it’s on paper. Other’s love digital and audio books. In the past few years it has almost become a war between a few devout groups, but in this post I’m giving my top reasons on why I love all of them!
- Long Drives! It’s not so bad anymore, but in college I had a 1 1/2 hour drive each day to and from campus that was really dull. What better way to fill the time than listen to a few of my favorite books?
- Migraines! I get terrible migraines that are greatly affected by light and can’t do much of anything. As long as there’s a soothing voice for the audiobook, I can still get a story in without having to worry about it bothering my head.
- Housework! Put a book on my iPhone and pop the headphones in then get to work! Can’t guarantee I won’t be talking to myself the entire time, though.
Digital: E-book Readers
(As a side note, I am against using computers or tablets to read for long periods. They are horrible for your eyes and it is not recommended for more than 15 minutes at a time.)
- Travel! Land, sea and air! I’ve used my e-reader on all three. This will be my fourth year working in Belize, South America and my e-reader will be coming along as well. It keeps my packing good and light, but plenty of books at my fingertips; including children’s books for the kiddos i meet!
- Bath/Pool/Lake/River Time! I have my waterproof cover for my e-reader and love getting in the water with a nice book, whether it’s just the bath or pool, or in a boat.
- Space! I have four overloaded bookshelves in my room, a bed with a bookshelf headboard, a nightstand covered in books, stacks of books on my floor, and storage boxes of books. There’s no more room for books! My e-reader really helps the overpopulation problem.
- Classics! If you like classics, most of the time you can either get them free or for a very cheep price.
- Collections! Shakespeare is my pleasure place. I have multiple copies of the full and individual copies in hardbacks. And lets face it, nothing beats a nice leather cover if you can get one!
- Durable! No bent covers like paperbacks if you put one of these babies in your purse or backpack.
- Pretty for the Shelf! I’m not one to buy a book just because it looks pretty, but I do have to admit when I do buy hardbacks they make my shelves look pretty.
- $$ Cheaper $$ This is a no-brainer. If you want a physical copy of the book but don’t want to pay the hard cash for the hardback, you’ll have to wait for the cheaper paperback.
- Easier to Handle! I find that a paperback is easier to handle when it comes to physical books; depending on the size and width.